Wednesday, October 28, 2009

kids, kids, kids...

Blog #7

The other day we were learning in Health Promotion class about toddlers. One of the things Professor North mentioned was that at this age many kids have night terrors. I found that information very interesting, but what was even more interesting was experiencing it for myself the very next night. I live with my sister and she has a 3-year-old son. That night, I was awoken from beautiful, relaxing sleep to horrid screaming coming from my sister's room. The whole house was on their feet in an instant. As we all gathered around her son, it didn't even seem like he knew that we were even there. No matter what we did or said, he just kept screaming more and more. And then I remembered the comment Whitney mentioned in class about a little boy that she nannies and how rubbing his back stops the screaming. So I decided to experiment and began rubbing his back, and little do you know, he stopped screaming! That just amazed me. It feels so great to be able to implement things we're taught into real life situations. This makes me more excited to learn new skills and being able to help other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment