Monday, October 5, 2009

A Different Perspective

Blog #4

Last week concluded the first 2 days of clinicals. Although I was severely sick the whole entire week, the two days at clinical made it the most memorable week of my life. I wasn't too excited going into this rotation. I have never worked with the older generation. I didn't know where to begin, how to speak to them without making them feel like a child (those with dementia), and how to provide care in general. But then, as I began to speak with my patient and she began to open up to me, my eyes were opened to a whole new perspective of life. These folks may be elderly, but so wise and full of so much great advice. The more and more time I spent with them, the more and more comfortable I felt. And as I was leaving on Friday, a part of me wanted to stay to bond more, listen in on more spectacular stories, to help out the CNAs a little, and to be simply be a presence in the lives of these amazing people. My eyes were opened to a different perspective, the perspective of the amazing elderly folks in our lives!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you were ill! Keep up the good work with the blogging!

    ReplyDelete